Canon 5DIII Review

>> Wednesday, May 16, 2012


Photo courtesy CANON


The Canon 5DIII is a worthy successor to a legend

Rediscover the joy of photography with this eagerly anticipated DSLR

by June Yang 
 

The Canon 5DII was a revolutionary DSLR for photography and filmmaking, so good at capturing images that multi-million dollar Hollywood productions were using footage shot on it. Can the eagerly-awaited Canon 5DIII step out of its predecessor's shadow? I think it will.

The basic specs: A full-frame 22.3 megapixel CMOS sensor, ISO range between 100 and 25600, Canon's latest, seventeen-times-faster DIGIC 5+ processor, continuous shooting up to 6 frames-per-second (fps), and a 61-point AF (autofocus) system - the same AF system found in Canon's high-end flagship 1DX.

The 5DIII improves on filmmaking capabilities with better image processing, additional recording formats and space to shoot continuously for up to 30 minutes.

In my trial of the 5DIII I found it quick and flexible. The sensor handles low light well, with good dynamic range - even without the inbuilt HDR function turned on. I even put it through its paces in trying conditions - portrait shooting in a darkened restaurant, with birthday candles. The camera performed beautifully: Sharp, good colours with barely noticeable grain. I was shooting with an f/4 lens but getting performance similar to much faster lenses. The 5DIII is rumoured to be plagued by light leak issues, but I saw no evidence of that.

The magnesium-alloy construction lets the 5DIII's body get away with weighing 860 grams. I'm used to more compact Micro Four-Third cameras, but this full-frame shooter wasn't much of a drag, even with the 24-105mm kit lens on.

In the end, cameras are about the overall user experience, and I'll let the testimony of my semi-pro photographer friend stand. After spending 20 minutes with the 5DIII at the party where I tested it, he turned to his exasperated wife and said, "We're saving up for one of these." I would, too. June Yang

Source:  www.todayonline.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP